- Improved Curves tool
- Layers support for TIFF exporting
- Support for user-installed fonts on Windows
- Faster painting
- Improved symmetry painting support
- Incremental mode in the Dodge/Burn tool
- Free Select tool now creates a preliminary selection
- New Offset tool
- crashes for various reasons, with more crashes to fix yet;
- various color management related bugs;
- unwanted change of foreground and background colors in tools’ presets;
- brush transformation improved and fixed in various places in symmetry painting mode;
- a few localization bugs, and most importantly broken translation display for several supported languages (so far, we believe it to be a bug in the Pango dependency);
- some brush format bugs;
- Line art detection in the Bucket Fill tool for comic artists
- Various usability improvements in transformation tools
- Sample Merged option added to the Heal tool and fixed in the Clone tool
- Parametric brushes now have 32-bit per channel precision
- Easier brush and pattern creation workflow
- On-canvas layer selection
- Faster saving/exporting and layer groups rendering
- Initial DDS support
- Many improvements in GEGL, the image processing engine
- bug fixes and optimizations
- GIMP 2.10.6 released with vertical text layers, faster previews, Marathi translation, and more!
- The latest update of the stable series delivers bugfixes,
simple horizon straightening,
async fonts loading, fonts tagging, and more new features.
- bug fixes,
HEIF support and new filters
- Image processing nearly fully ported to GEGL,allowing high bit depth processing, multi-threaded and hardware accelerated pixel processing, and more.
- Color management is a core feature now, most widgets and preview areas are color-managed.
- Many improved tools, and several new and exciting tools, such as the Warp transform, the Unified transform and the Handle transform tools.
- On-canvas preview for all filters ported to GEGL.
- Improved digital painting with canvas rotation and flipping, symmetry painting, MyPaint brush support…
- Support for several new image formats added (OpenEXR, RGBE, WebP, HGT), as well as improved support for many existing formats (in particular more robust PSD importing).
- Metadata viewing and editing for Exif, XMP, IPTC, and DICOM.
- Basic HiDPI support: automatic or user-selected icon size.
- New themes for GIMP (Light, Gray, Dark, and System) and new symbolic icons meant to somewhat dim the environment and shift the focus towards content (former theme and color icons are still available in Preferences).
- And more, better, more, and even more awesome!
- We are releasing GIMP 2.8.22 with various bug fixes.
All platforms will benefit from a change to the image window hierarchy in single window mode, which improves painting performance when certain GTK+ themes are used.
This version fixes an ancient CVE bug, CVE-2007-3126.
Due to this bug, the ICO file import plug-in could be crashed by specially crafted image files.
Our attempts to reproduce the bug failed with 2.8 and thus the impact had likely been minimal for years, but now it is gone for good.
Users on the Apple macOS platforms will benefit from fixes for crashes during drag&drop and copy&paste operations.
On the Microsoft Windows platforms, crashes encountered when using the color picker with special multi-screen setups are gone,
and picking the actual color instead of black from anywhere on the screen should finally be possible.
Check out the full list of fixed issues since 2.8.20.
The source code, the Microsoft Windows installer and the Apple Disk Image for GIMP 2.8.22 are available from our downloads page;
so yes, this time we made an effort to publish everything in one go :)