- Line art detection in the Bucket Fill tool for comic artists
- Various usability improvements in transformation tools
- Sample Merged option added to the Heal tool and fixed in the Clone tool
- Parametric brushes now have 32-bit per channel precision
- Easier brush and pattern creation workflow
- On-canvas layer selection
- Faster saving/exporting and layer groups rendering
- Initial DDS support
- Many improvements in GEGL, the image processing engine
- bug fixes and optimizations
- GIMP 2.10.6 released with vertical text layers, faster previews, Marathi translation, and more!
- The latest update of the stable series delivers bugfixes,
simple horizon straightening,
async fonts loading, fonts tagging, and more new features.
- bug fixes,
HEIF support and new filters
- Image processing nearly fully ported to GEGL,allowing high bit depth processing, multi-threaded and hardware accelerated pixel processing, and more.
- Color management is a core feature now, most widgets and preview areas are color-managed.
- Many improved tools, and several new and exciting tools, such as the Warp transform, the Unified transform and the Handle transform tools.
- On-canvas preview for all filters ported to GEGL.
- Improved digital painting with canvas rotation and flipping, symmetry painting, MyPaint brush support…
- Support for several new image formats added (OpenEXR, RGBE, WebP, HGT), as well as improved support for many existing formats (in particular more robust PSD importing).
- Metadata viewing and editing for Exif, XMP, IPTC, and DICOM.
- Basic HiDPI support: automatic or user-selected icon size.
- New themes for GIMP (Light, Gray, Dark, and System) and new symbolic icons meant to somewhat dim the environment and shift the focus towards content (former theme and color icons are still available in Preferences).
- And more, better, more, and even more awesome!
- We are releasing GIMP 2.8.22 with various bug fixes.
All platforms will benefit from a change to the image window hierarchy in single window mode, which improves painting performance when certain GTK+ themes are used.
This version fixes an ancient CVE bug, CVE-2007-3126.
Due to this bug, the ICO file import plug-in could be crashed by specially crafted image files.
Our attempts to reproduce the bug failed with 2.8 and thus the impact had likely been minimal for years, but now it is gone for good.
Users on the Apple macOS platforms will benefit from fixes for crashes during drag&drop and copy&paste operations.
On the Microsoft Windows platforms, crashes encountered when using the color picker with special multi-screen setups are gone,
and picking the actual color instead of black from anywhere on the screen should finally be possible.
Check out the full list of fixed issues since 2.8.20.
The source code, the Microsoft Windows installer and the Apple Disk Image for GIMP 2.8.22 are available from our downloads page;
so yes, this time we made an effort to publish everything in one go :)
GIMP 2.8.18 to GIMP 2.8.20
- Avoid D-Bus error message when built without D-Bus support
- fix OS X min required conditional in gimpimagewindow.c
- Saving to existing .xcf.bz and .xcf.gz files didn't truncate them and could lead to unnecessarily large files
- Text layer created by gimp-text-fontname doesn't respect border when resized
- avoid seeking when saving XCF files to prevent corruption with file network shares (fixed since 2014, but not mentioned in NEWS yet)
- Flow on Paint Dynamics editor dialog: the 'y' axis is indicating 'Rate' instead 'Flow'
- Vertical ruler shows artifacts if the status bar isn't showing
- Tablet stylus misbehaves when crossing the edge of a dock in multi-window-mode
- Disable the new "automatic window tabbing" feature introduced on macOS Sierra
- Improve the visiblity of slider handles with dark themes
- Make it harder to switch to renaming if selecting already selected items in resource lists
- make toggling to color picker mode of paint tools more robust
- call gimp_file_entry_set_filename() with filename encoding
- Reduce the memory requirement when running the installer (has already been shipped in a 2.8.18 installer-only update)
- Ship an updated libcairo to fix GTK+ UI rendering problems, like missing palette border/bevel and shadowa under tab labels
- Ship the Tango icon theme with the DMG for a complete set of icons
- fix the way mime data is copied into the bundle
- no longer copy Pango modules into the bundle
- prevent a crash caused by drag&drop on OSX by patching the included GTK+
- ship a patch for gettext to make sure the preferred UI language will be used
- Prevent the Python console from closing by the Escape key
- Help browser does not launch on OS X
- Filter 'Edge Detect/Difference of Gaussians' returns empty image
- only use -xobjective-c for compile commands
- mkgen.pl: fix calls to write_file() routine to write to current directory
- When printing, the images are composed onto a white background to prevent printing a black box instead of a transaprent image
- Fix color visison deficiency display filters to apply gamma correction directly
- Scottish Gaelic