- HDR video can be converted to SDR with tone mapping using a variety of methods.
- FFV1 encoder is back (it was available in Avidemux 2.5.x).
- TrueHD audio tracks can be decoded and are supported for Matroska containers.
- Decoding support for WMA9 Lossless codec.
- Filter previews have got a unified method to quickly compare filtered and unfiltered inputs via the 'Peek Original' button.
- Blend and motion interpolation options added to 'Resample FPS' filter.
- Mark cut points (segment boundaries) on the navigation slider. New buttons and shortcuts are provided to jump to these cut points.
- In the Video Filter Manager, active filters can be temporarily disabled.
- Preference added to load sequentially named pictures in reverse order, allowing to reverse video by exporting selection as JPEG images and loading the first one.
- During playback navigation is possible via keys or by dragging the navigation slider.
- Resample FPS" and "Change FPS" filters can handle up to 1000 fps.
- "Crop" filter's preview has got a translucent green masking.
- "Crop" filter's Auto Crop function can achieve perfect crops (if the selected frame is not too dark).
- The maximum output resolution of the "Resize" filter has been increased to 8192x8192
- The "Resize" filter has got a nearest neighbour scaling option.
- Improved HiDPI scaling in previews.
- x264 video encoder plugin now allows to specify color properties.
- Maximized window state, widget visibility and toolbar position are preserved after application restart.
- Timestamps in format 00:00:00.000 like copied to clipboard by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+C can be pasted into the "Go to Time" dialog using CTRL+V.
- PulseAudioSimple audio device has been replaced with full PulseAudio, making an in-application volume control available (Linux only).
- ALSA audio device plugin has been modified to use soft volume, providing application-specific volume control which works with every ALSA device.
- In the Video Filter Manager, navigation by keyboard has been enhanced.
- The VU meter ("Audio Metre") has been redesigned.
- Occasional UI unrepsonsiveness during playback should be fixed.
- Prevent navigation key events piling up.
- Thumb slider, displaced by mouse wheel, is now automatically reset if the end of video is reached, stopping Avidemux log file from filling disk space.
- Purple tint in old "Fade to" and "Fade to black" filters on macOS fixed.
- Green tint in "MPlayer eq2" filter is fixed.
- Bundled FFmpeg libraries have been updated to 4.4.1 release.
- Many new video filters added by courtesy of
- A dedicated MOV muxer is now available, replacing silent fallback to
MOV muxing mode within the MP4 muxer.
- A subset of color info relevant for HDR support is retained in copy
mode when both input and output video are stored in Matroska / WebM
containers. Settings to add or override color info have been added to
MKV and WebM muxers.
- The indexer in the MPEG-TS demuxer now detects resolution changes in
MPEG-2 and H.264 streams which are entirely unsupported and suggests
aborting indexing. If the user chooses to continue, it records file
offsets of all resolution changes to the log. This allows advanced
users to split the file at these offsets using other tools like
head and tail into chunks which can be processed
- YUV varieties of the lossless Ut Video codec are supported now for
decoding and encoding via bundled FFmpeg libraries.
- Uncompressed 24-bit audio is now supported for a subset of file formats.
- Limited support for 7.1 channel layout.
- Decode and stream copy support for XLL substream in DTS audio tracks.
- Audio properties are now updated on resuming playback. This allows to
start saving after an audio format change. When audio format changes
during playback, the FFmpeg-based audio decoder will output silence
and keep format rather than producing garbage.
- An option to keep the identity of markers A and B instead of swapping
them automatically has been added to Preferences.
- The keyboard shortcut for "Delete" action has been made customizable
with alternative keyboard shortcuts enabled.
- Multi-threaded video decoding is now available for the bundled FFmpeg.
On powerful multi-core CPUs, this can drastically improve decoding
performance. A maximum of 8 threads can be created, but a conservative
custom upper limit of 4 is recommended. Values above 8 cause decoding
failures. Multi-threaded decoding and HW accelerated decoding are
mutually exclusive, changes require application restart to have
- The maximum supported resolution has been increased to 8192x8192
- The bundled FFmpeg has been updated to the 4.2.4 release.
- Non-standard display aspect ratios can be configured in MP4 muxer by
specifying display width.
- MP4 muxer accepts now MPEG-1 and MPEG-2.
- The configuration dialog of the x265 video encoder plugin enjoyed
massive cleanup and refactoring by
Trent Piepho, more Adaptive
Quatization Variance methods have been added.
- Python interface has been substantially extended, includes now methods
to query segment properties, the number and filenames of loaded
videos, PTS of keyframes, methods to seek to time with preview
updated, to open file dialogs filtered by extension and a built-in
method to split filename extension from a given path.
- Scripting shell now supports unicode characters.
- On macOS, files can be loaded via Finder context menu or by dropping
them onto Avidemux icon in the dock.
- On Linux, Jobs GUI and the CLI executable can be launched from
AppImage by creating a symlink with _jobs or _cli in filename
respectively and running the AppImage via this symlink.
- Rate control was broken in some video encoders, especially in VP9 and
in NVENC-based encoders, fixed now.
- Multiple issues in cut point checks for H.264 and HEVC streams in copy
mode, leading to incorrect check results, were identified and
- The first two frames of external AC3 or EAC3 audio tracks are not
dropped anymore. This regression from enhanced protection against
false positives, added 3 years ago, has been finally identified and
- Indexing of MPEG-TS files with HEVC video was broken when video stream
lacked access unit delimiters. The issue was identified and fixed
right after 2.7.7 had been tagged as released and is the reason why
version 2.7.7 was superseded by 2.7.8.
- VU meter was grossly ahead of audio output on Windows, now it is just
a tiny little bit ahead.
- Numerous other fixes and overall polish.
- New Feature: Detect and warn when cut points in HEVC video streams may result in grave playback issues despite being on keyframes
- Encoder: Extend configuration options for NVENC-based H.264 and HEVC encoders, add 2-pass mode
- Demuxer: Support MPEG-TS files with duration in excess of 13:15:36
- Demuxer: Use DTS core from DTS XLL audio in MPEG-TS files instead of rejecting the track
- Demuxer: Fix mono MP3 audio tracks in MP4 files misdetected as stereo
- Demuxer: Try to correct timestamp jitter in MP4 files produced by older Avidemux versions
- Muxer: Fix timestamp rounding which caused pseudo-VFR output from CFR sources
- Muxer: Fix saving to network shares on Windows using the Mp4 muxer when index should be moved to the start of the file
- Muxer: Support LPCM audio in the Mp4 muxer by silently switching to the MOV muxing mode
- Muxer: Add support for Vorbis audio to the Mp4 muxer
- Filter: Allow to toggle rubber band visibility in "Crop" and "Blacken Borders" video filters
- Filter: Fix keyboard input in "Resize" video filter by recalculating values only on moving focus to another field or on accepting dialog
- Audio: Add HE-AAC and HE-AACv2 profiles to the FDK AAC encoder plugin
- Audio: Support external audio tracks in DTS format
- UI: Fix navigation slider with RTL locales
- UI: Restore the shutdown option in encoding dialog on Windows
- Scripting: Add PTS query and keyframe seek methods to Python interface
- Miscellaneous: Allow user-defined fragment size for auto-append of chunked MPEG-TS files
- Miscellaneous: Improve handling of field-encoded video streams throughout the chain
- Miscellaneous: Improve handling of H.264 video streams with parameter sets changing on the fly
- Miscellaneous: Try to keep track of video time base throughout the chain
- Miscellaneous: Numerous other fixes and polish
- [main] Fix mixup of preprocessor and C++ conditionals, oops
- [Qt] Disable workaround for drag and drop on Windows, it breaks drag and drop for recent Qt versions and Avidemux window in foreground, drag source in background and video display as drop target
- [cmake] Fix library permissions
- [main] Use the right define to fix audio device set to dummy upon a fresh install on Windows with VC++ builds
- [editor] Fix decoding of videos with placeholder frames and non-zero decoder delay
- [coreVideoCodec/editor] Revert last commit, trust demuxer PTS if any for placeholder frames, always flag them as P-frames, unify indentation in DecodeNextPicture()
- [editor] Set flags even if we do not have a picture
- [core/editor] Restore workaround for lavc video decoder overreading compressed frame data end with mpeg4, it is still needed with older FFmpeg and does not harm with the current one, add a paranoid check to ensure we don't write past the end of the buffer
- [editor] Do not reject the first frame of reference video which starts at zero as candidate in getFrameNumFromPtsOrBefore()
- [cmake] Bump version
- [winInstaller] Update release changelog
- [demuxers/Mp4] Calculate average audio byterate for fragmented files too
- [demuxers/Mp4] Estimate average audio byterate when we have no exact value
- [i18n] Regenerate translation files, blindly apply updates for the German and Russian translations from git master
- [coreVideoCodec/editor] Fix handling of empty frames for mpeg4 and fraps regressed by ade4b26, drop coded_frame, unused for decoding since FFmpeg 2.2
- [coreUtils/infoExtractorH264] Pad buffers passed to getBits ctor to avoid overreads, stop parsing SEI as soon as we get recovery, clarify and disable by default debug messages, remove rate limited warning
- [ffmpeg] Add upstream patch for compatibility with gcc 9
- [ad_lav] Take care of deleting the buffer for padded extradata, freeing context is not supposed to do that, oops, remove unused output buffer
- [coreAudioParser/eac3info] Fix crash from freeing modified pointer, oops
- [demuxers/Matroska] Check that EAC3 is really EAC3, it may be plain AC3
- FFmpeg: Update to the 3.3.9 release
- Encoder: Fix issues with image quality and skipped frames in the MJPEG encoder
- Demuxer: Fix audio delay calculation in the Mp4 demuxer
- Demuxer: Fix crash loading large MP4 files with LPCM audio
- Demuxer: Fix multiple issues in the ASF demuxer, allow to cancel indexing
- Demuxer: Allow to cancel indexing of MKV files
- Demuxer: Re-enable multiloading for MPEG-TS streams cut in chunks of 256, 512 MiB, 1, 2 and 4 GiB in size only
- Demuxer: Fix MPEG-TS indexer to start a H.264 or HEVC frame with the Access Unit Delimiter
- Muxer: Add Annex B to Annex B video stream filter to deal with misplaced frame boundaries
- Muxer: Add support for setting rotation flag to the MP4 muxer
- Filter: Add rubber band selector to the "Blacken Borders" filter
- Filter: Add option to deal with anamorphic display to the subtitle filter, fix issues in SRT to SSA converter
- UI: Autosave session on video close, add session restore feature
- UI: Add file name extension when saving audio for some audio types
- Audio: Make maximum level in the "Normalize" filter customizable
- Audio: Improve AAC sampling frequency detection
- Audio: Add decoding support for multichannel Opus audio
- Miscellaneous: Fix regression playback stuck after going to the previous picture
- Miscellaneous: Fix regression "Fade to black" reset when starting filtered playback close to the end of video
- Miscellaneous: Fix regression stopping playback rewinds to the start of video if seek back to the last displayed picture fails
- Encoder:Add LibVA based HW accelerated H.264 encoder (Intel/Linux)
- Decoder:Fix last frames of video not retrieved from decoder
- Decoder:Implement hardware accelerated decoding of H.264 on macOS
- Decoder:Fix keyframe-based navigation in field-encoded MPEG-2 video
- Demuxer:Fix crash in the Matroska demuxer with high bitrate audio
- Demuxer:Fix too short duration reported for MKV and MP4 with B-frames
- Demuxer:Fix PTS delay calculation in the Matroska demuxer
- Demuxer:Fix audio delay ignored by the Mp4 demuxer
- Muxer:Improve resilience of FFmpeg based muxers against decode timestamps irregularities
- Muxer:Allow to force display aspect ratio in the configuration of the MP4 muxer
- Muxer:Fix crash in the AVI muxer on switch to OpenDML
- Images:Add PNG export, fix wrong colors with some colorspaces
- Images:Add feature to export selection as JPEG images
- Editor:Fix AVI with H.264 / HEVC without B-frames being not seekable
- Editor:Make AVI with H.264 / HEVC containing B-frames seekable by decoding the entire video
- New Filter:Still Image: generate video of specified duration out of a single image
- Filter:Make eq2 video filter partializable
- Filter:Implement fade-in / fade-out transition for "Add logo"
- UI:Display selection duration in the UI, move filter preview toggle to the toolbar
- UI:Warn right away if an edit would result in cuts being not on keyframes
- UI:Improve time chooser dialog
- Audio:Add Opus encoder
- Audio:Allow LPCM in FFmpeg-based muxers
- Audio:Show duration for external audio tracks
- Miscellaneous:Improved overall polish and stability
- Core:FFmpeg switched to the 3.3.x branch
- Editing:Fixed frame computation bug that led to bad cutting (euma)
- i18n:Korean translation (sheppaul)
- win32:Put log files into the local folder (achim71)
- Jobs:Fix name of the executable search
- UI:Steplessly zoom paused video when the window is resized (euma)
- UI:Added Ctrl+Shift+C shortcut to copy the current PTS to clipboard (euma)
- Filter:eq2: UI improvements (euma)
- Decoding:Fix VP9 decoding
- Filter:Using rubber bands for crop too (me+euma)
- Build:Redone packaging on macOS
- Decoding:HEVC decoding via DXVA2 blacklisted on win32, active on win64
- New Filter:ADM ivtc
- Audio:Distinguish between AC3 and EAC3 when importing
- same as 2.6.20 with x265 encoder fixed on win64
- [UI] Add file name extension to projects: exclude win64 for now
- [UI] Add file name extension to projects: convert std::string to const char* in the very last moment
- [installer] Update the release changelog
- [UI] Add a file name extension when saving projects
- [audio] Check deeper if it is eac3, the 2 frames must be right after one another
- [installer] Provide a better description of the fixes for AAC in MPEG TS in the release changelog
- [installer] Add a release changelog
- [partial] Fix start/end time in the description
- [build] bump version
- [cross] Also look in lib64 for cmake mingw
- [changelog] use another way to install the file
- [winInstaller] Fix ChangeLog copy + dummy file
- [winInstaller] Fix ChangeLog copy + dummy file
- [merge] Switch between self gen changelog and static file (ChangeLog.release)
- [qt5/cross] Use QT_HOME to find the cmake scripts
- [Qt/mainfilter] Make filter list items even higher to avoid clipped descriptions on Windows with certain DPI settings
- [i18n/de] Restore the translation of the 'Crop' filter, lost after renaming
- [plugins/eq2] Fix dialog layout
- [mkv/demux] increase max number of laces to 100, which is absurdely high
- [mkv/demux] Search for MKV_TRACKS harder