- Audacity now includes the LAME mp3 encoder. Previously, due to now expired patents, you had to download it separately.
- There is a new 'Select' button in the track panel to select the whole track.
- Audacity mod-script-pipe for driving Audacity from Python now comes with Audacity and can be enabled via preferences.
- Options and preferences:
- Type to Create a Label is now off by default.
- A plug-in installer for Nyquist now provides a file browser for selecting '.NY' files to install.
- Over 20 bugs in 2.3.1 fixed, including
- Audacity 2.3.1 would crash if append-recording to a collapsed track.
- Many accessibility bugs on macOS fixed
- Audacity now supports 64 bit Mac.
- Microfades are now an opt-in feature. They were always on in 2.3.0.
- The advanced vertical zooming option is now available in the View->Zoom menu.
- Regular interval labels now support range labels.
- A crashing bug on Linux that made Audacity 2.3.0. unsuitable for Linux.
- Crash on Mac when right clicking on label.
- Problems with Change Pitch, including not remembering parameter values.
- New feature - "Punch and Roll Recording".
- Pinned-play-head can now be repositioned by dragging
- Play-at-Speed now can be adjusted whilst playing.
- Toolbars controlling volume and speed can now be resized for greater precision
- Macros (formerly 'Chains') substantially extended
- New Macro palette
- Macros can be bound to keyboard keys
- New commands
- New 'Tools' menu
- New 'Scriptables' commands
- Nyquist gains AUD-DO command
- Nyquist effects are now translatable and translated
- More dialogs have help buttons now
- Increased legibility of trackname display
- Half-wave option for collapsed tracks
- Sliding Stretch
- Dialog (option) for entering labels
- Windows: Queen Mary 1.7.1 Vamp plug-ins crash Audacity on opening Plug-in Manager - bug #1244
- Inconsistent behavior when recording with a selection defined - bug #1839
- Ctrl + M does not open label for editing - bug #1852
- Vertical Zoom in by clicking in the vertical Scale, or context menu, in waveform views is inconsistent - bug #1810
- Deletion of all tracks cannot be undone - bug #1845
- Timer Record with a selection present can get a truncated recording with data loss - bug #1851
- Duplicate shortcuts can be created - bug #1786
- Labels longer than 260 characters are now supported - bug #1905
- Using Spectrogram Settings in TCP or using Preferences causes Audacity to reset Project Rate to default rate in Quality Preferences - bug #1977
- Cut Preview should play all selected/sync-locked tracks, respecting Mute/Solo during preview - bug #231
- Dropout detection Dropout detection is controlled from a setting in Recording Preferences called "Detect dropouts".
When this setting is "on" (default setting) Audacity will detect dropouts (brief gaps in the recording) and will insert zeroes into the recording to keep the other good parts synchronized.
These silent spans will make the dropouts more obvious, but keep the duration of the recording correct.
When recording stops, a Warning message box alerts the user and a label track, called "Dropouts", is added showing the lost parts, labeled with consecutive numbers.
- Improved horizontal zooming For this release we have improved the way zooming using your mouse wheel works and provided a new Zoom Toggle function.
- Improved vertical zooming We have added a context menu to the vertical scale to control vertical zooming Previous vertical zooming methods (left-click in the vertical ruler,
left-drag in the vertical ruler) remain available by selecting "Advanced Vertical Zooming"in Track Behaviors Preferences.
- "Extra" menu The "Ext-Bar" and "Ext-Command" menus have been consolidated into the "Extra" menu.
- Theme tweaks The appearance and/or contrast of a few icons has been improved.
- Easier access to changing key bindings for shortcuts
For menu commands that are enabled (not grayed-out) if you hold the Shift key and click on the sub-menu item, instead of executing the command the Keyboard Preferences pop open at the chosen command.
You can then change that (or any other) shortcut binding.
- Language selection in Preferences Interface Preferences has been upgraded so when selecting languages the proper spelling of these languages is shown with accented and special characters.
- Multiple use of "Save As" to the existing open project can result in data corruption/loss
- Crash undoing during record, using Discard button of History window
- Exporting audio in compressed formats to device with insufficient space produces inconsistent/truncated results
- In Export Multiple, Cancel does not remove the file that is in progress when Cancel is chosen
- Unicode page encodings fixed ( ?° ?? ?°)
- Crash using SBSMS pitch change at low sample rate
- (Mac) Equalization: "Telephone" curve displays a flat line, no sound on Preview
- Toolbars: open undocked if previously not shown, unless Reset Toolbars first
- Analysis effects that create labels should give focus to label track
- Control value may be out of range when using FloatingPointValidator
- Analysis effects produce false indication that a label is open for editing
- Import Uncompressed File Dialog Incorrect Reference to Menu Item
- Wave Color not grayed out in TCP dropdown menu when in Spectrogram view
- Hover indication on note track channel toggle appears on all tracks (when they rerender)
- Installer has old logo for 2.2.1 and 2.2.0
- Waveform colorways
You can optionally change the colorway of the waveforms displayed in your project.
The setting is per track and not per project so you can have multiple colorways in the same project.
- "Save Other" reverts to "Export" in the File menu
When we made the menu changes for 2.2.0 we introduced an entry into the File menu called "Save Other" which led to a sub-menu for exporting various audio formats.
Many users were confused by this change and found it hard to find where they could export audio from.
So for 2.2.1 we have changed that menu entry to be File Export.
- Bug #1767 - Opening a second project from Mac's Finder produces a second inaccessible instance of Audacity
- Bug #1770 - Crash applying certain chain files
- Bug #1783 - Preview fails when selection extends before zero
- Bug #1787 - Auto-scroll stopped working in 2.2.0
- Bug #1765 - Using File Open to import audio gives wrong zoom level and no scroll bar slider
- Four Selectable themes provided, with new 'Light' theme as default,plus option to customize
- Many menu changes:
・Extended menu bar provided
・New keyboard commands for working with clips
- Help buttons ? in Preferences, Effects, Generators and Analyzers - and other places
- Non-Graying out of effects when no selection (and explanatory dialog with help button)
- Playback of MIDI (and Allegro) files imported into Note Tracks is now available.
- 'Center' option in Selection Toolbar
- Stem plots
- Major overhaul to documentation/manual including many new images and streamlined text on landing pages for in-program help.
- Append-record is now the default (use Shift + Record for old behavior,to record on a new track)
- The Esc key now cancels all click-and-drag actions.
It also chooses among overlapping mouse click targets, which is especially useful in the Multi-Tool.
- Sync-Lock button removed (use menu item or keyboard shortcut instead)
- New preferences and preference pages
- Overhaul of much code:
・Overhaul of envelope handling code to deal with some anomalies
・Overhaul of exception handling for greater safety
- New Logo
- Major work on bug fixing. 198 bugs that were in 2.1.3 were fixed for 2.2.0.
The most serious bug fixed this time round was bug 437 which was about what happens when Audacity is recording and runs out of storage.
Most of the bugs fixed were more minor, such as bug 463 which was about a case in which the numbering on the timeline could display incorrect times.
Changes and Improvements:
- (macOS) Support for horizontal scroll on Magic Mouse / Trackpad and for Trackpad pinch/expand zoom gesture.
- Pinned option on waveform so waveform moves and recording/playing head stays still.
- Timer Record options to save/export/exit after recording.
- Scrub Ruler and optional Scrub Toolbar.
- New shortcuts ALT+RIGHT and ALT+LEFT (move to labels without editing).
- Effects no longer grayed out when paused.
- New Distortion effect (replaces Leveller).
- SBSMS (higher quality but slower) option on Change Tempo / Change Pitch effects.
- New Rhythm Track generator (replaces Click Track).
- New Generator for Sample Data Import.
- Nyquist effects now significantly faster.
- Upgraded the PortAudio library to v19 rev r1966. This gives Audacity Windows 10 support.
- (macOS) Audacity.app now has its resources inside it rather than in a separate folder, so installation to /Applications/ is cleaner.
- (macOS) Audacity 2.1.3 provides partial support for Sierra.
- Over 60 bugs fixed, including five longstanding bugs.