- Winaero Tweaker 1.33 allows you to restore the classic search in File Explorer
- With Winaero Tweaker 1.32 you can now enable the classic (full) context menus on Windows 11.
Just turn on the checkbox and restart the Explorer.
I have changed the behavior of the "Enable Ribbon" option for Windows 11.
It no longer disables the "Share" command, so it enables the Ribbon UI without side effects.
Finally, I have fixed the "Change system font" option.
It should not produce the "square" icon instead of the ":" for the clock in the taskbar.
Also, it shouldn't interfere with the Anki app.
- A quick update to Winaero Tweaker users.
I have resolved a rare but annoying bug in the app.
Some of you may have seen the application crash with an unfriendly error message in the PopulateFavorites() routine.
Thanks to "CodyDaWolf", I have figured out what is going on, and resolved the bug.
- Disable Background Apps
Run the app and go to Windows 11 \ Disable Background apps.
If you turn on the check box, it will stop all Store apps in Windows 11 from running in the background.
The appropriate option was available in Windows 10 in Settings, but for some reason it wasn't added to Windows 11 Settings (yet?).
- Disable SmartScreen
Some users find it extremely inconvenient to use Windows Security to disable the SmartScreen feature in Windows 10 and Windows 11, and constantly ask to add such an option to the tweaker app.
So I've added in this new version.
You'll find it under Behavior Disable SmartScreen.
- You can add Task Manager to the Desktop context menu (this works in all supported Windows versions).
- You can add Group Policy to the Desktop context menu (in all supported Windows versions).
- You can add "Restart Explorer" to the Desktop context menu in all supported Windows versions.
- Added two new tools:
- You can create desktop shortcuts to Shut down, Restart, Hibernate and Sleep actions in all Windows versions. Save your time using such shortcuts.
For "shut down", you can create both the full shut down shortcut (turns off the OS without the hibernation data, next start is cold start) and hybrid shut down shortcut (next start will be done with Fast Startup).
- If you tray icons (notification area/taskbar corner overflow) look broken, you can now reset their cache using Winaero Tweaker.
- Windows 11: Added a number of improvements to the "Classic Taskbar" feature. After enabling it, you can quickly turn on the clock, network, and sound icons. There is a link for that.
- Windows 11: Added a dedicated option to restore the Ribbon in File Explorer.
- Windows 11: You can now move the taskbar to the top, left or right side of the screen.
The left and right side taskbar is still half-baked, as Microsoft doesn't officially support the taskbar moving.
- Fixed Windows 10 version 21H2 detection. It was reported as 21H1.
- Fixed the context menu\ remove default entries\ pin to start removal.
The "Pin to Start" command was only removed for files. Now it also disappears for folders.
- Fixed the Shell Folder shortcut option. Once you create a shell folder shortcut, the option used to appear in the "Recently changed" list.
That's wrong; this doesn't change anything on your computer.
- So, the new tweak. Navigate to Windows 11 > Classic Start Menu and Taskbar.
- Turn on the option and sign out from your user account when prompted.
After you sign in back, your Windows 11 will look as follows.
- Initial Windows 11 support
Winaero Tweaker now supports Windows 11.
I even added a new tweak that you can use on the first public build to change its taskbar size.
You will find it under Desktop and taskbar > Windows 11 taskbar size.
- System restore: You can create a restore point right from the app
There have always been many complaints that Winaero Tweaker does not allow you to create a system restore point from its user interface.
This has changed, now you can.
- Disable Automatic Repair Boot loop
This was on demand for long. Finally, Winaero Tweaker will allow you disable the Auto Repair feature in Windows 11, Windows 10, and Windows 8/8.1.
If you are not happy to see the Automatic Repair starting each time something happens to your operating system, you can now disable it with ease.
- Print Screen key sound
If you want Windows play a sound every time you press Print Screen/Alt + Print Screen keys to capture a screenshot, Winaero Tweaker will allow you to get it done with one click.
Just tick this checkbox and you are good to go.
- Windows Terminal context menus
A new set of tweaks allows you to customize context menus for the modern Windows Terminal app.
You can hide the default "Open in Windows Terminal" menu entry, or add a cascading menu with profiles.
The latter will allow you to open the app to the current folder with the desired profile, such as PowerShell, Command Prompt, PowerShell 7, and WSL.
The same can be done as administrator using the appropriate option.
Finally, you can make the menu only appear when you press and hold the Shift key.
- Windows Tools context menu
In addition to the desktop shortcut for this new Start menu folder, you can add it right to the Desktop right-click menu.
Both are a convenient way to access built-in administrative tools.
- Windows Security context menu
Similar to the above, you can add Windows Security to the desktop context menu.
It will appear as a cascading entry, so you will be able to access its pages and tools directly.
- Run or modify menu for PS1 files
If you often work with PowerShell files, you will find useful the following option.
Winaero Tweaker now recognizes Windows 10 version 21H1 properly.
Also, I made some changes to make the app start faster.
Though there is still a room for improvements.
Pressing Ctrl+F in search box selects existing text
- I've fixed the Sign-in message tweak. It had a bug which didn't import the message text, instead using the message title twice.
- Fixed: Winaero Tweaker didn't export the "Display last sign-in info" option.
- Fixed: The Desktop folder is now properly detected in the app.
- Adjusted the Aero Shake tweak for the changed behavior in 21H1+.
- Windows Defender tweak now detects again that Anti-tamper protection is enabled under 21H1+.
- "Select visible tweaks" and "Import/Export" windows now close when you press the Esc key.
- A small update to Winaero Tweaker.
I added the ability to turn on the new Windows 10X boot animation.
First of all, I am happy to announce that I have finally found what was preventing Winaero Tweaker from exporting 16 tweaks.
This issue had been reported several times by users , but I couldn't find the cause. However, it was a surprise for me that it was caused by a bug in Visual Studio. Now it is fixed.
Another bugfix worth mentioning is a fully-functional Settings cascading context menu for the desktop background once again.
That was a bug accidentally caused by me.
Also, there are other fixes, but they are really minor.
The user interface of Winaero Tweaker is always subject to improvements. First of all, I have updated the toolbar, so it looks better on HiDPI screens.
- Navigation history
There are plenty of Winaero Tweaker users who always ask for the "navigation history" option in the app. Well, I have implemented it.
It looks and works similar to what you have in File Explorer on Windows.
It stores a list of tweaks you have visited since the app start, and allows you to go through that list
- Recent changes
The Recent changes option is a new feature of Winaero Tweaker that lists the tweaks you have applied, arranged by the modification time.
Now you can recall what and when you have changed at a glance. By double-clicking on its entries, you can directly open the tweak and then revert or re-adjust it.
- The information page
Finally, there is one more minor change.
The Information page of Winaero Tweaker now includes Windows edition and its build number.
- New tweaks
All the below tweaks are supposed to work in Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, and Windows 7.
- Change owner context menu
This option adds the 'change owner' context menu to files, directories, and drives.
Using it, you can view the current owner of the file system object, set it to Everyone, System, TrustedInstaller, or Administrators.
- Change the number of Folder Views to remember
All Windows versions allow you to customize a specific folder's view to make it more suitable for the content in that folder.
View changes are remembered by File Explorer/Windows Explorer or, all folders can be set globally to the same view via Folder Options.
By default, Windows remembers the view options for first 5000 folders.
This number can be increased up to 20 000 folders, now with Winaero Tweaker.
- Change the number of items in jump lists
Windows allows you to adjust the number of items visible in the jump list.
This number is set to 12 by default. With Winaero Tweaker you can increase or reduce it.
- Windows 10 version 20H2 support
Winaero Tweaker now supports Windows 10 version 20H2 properly.
(I hope) It is now able to differentiate version 2004, and version 20H2.
- Disable Web Search in Windows 10 Taskbar in version 2004/20H2
Following the recent changes made by Microsoft, I have updated the appropriate option in Winaero Tweaker.
Now you can use it to disable web results in Windows Search.
- Customize rows and columns in the classic Alt+Tab switcher
You can now change the number of icon rows and columns displayed by the classic Alt+Tab dialog when you enable it.
This feature works in all supported Windows versions by Tweaker, including Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
- Change what App Keys do for the keyboard
One more new feature available for all the supported Windows versions - the ability to change the action for extra buttons available on many modern keyboards, such as Calculator, Computer, Browser, Mail, and so on.
Microsoft Natural keyboards, for example, have plenty of them. Here you can reconfigure the buttons.
The list of available keys is limited to 'known' buttons that Windows usually recognizes without extra drivers.
- Default apps context menu
This new feature adds the "Default apps" page of Settings to the context menu (details can be found here). This can be useful for checking your default app associations quickly.
- Remove Share with Skype
Winaero Tweaker now allows removing the Share with Skype context menu entry.
The option can be found under Context Menu \ Remove Default Menu Entries.
- Create shortcut to a PS1 file that runs is directly
There is a new shortcut tool in version 0.18 that allows saving your precious time by creating a shortcut that will directly launch a PS1 file.
The shortcut target will run the PS interpreter with -NoExit and -ExecutionPolicy Bypass options, so use it carefully.
- About box
Surprisingly, plenty of users were not happy with the former app behavior, when it returned to the "Information" page in the tweak list once you click on the Help > About menu item.
After receiving a ton of complains, I decided to add an extra dialog to the app.
There is also a number of various issues resolved in this release. Most notable are.
Fixed the broken update check.
No idea when it started to happen, but it was caused by a combination of my legacy code and recent web site changes.
I've refreshed the update check routine.
Fixed wrong links for "how this tweak works" for a number of Tweaker options.